I am a lover of things brunch and hearty breakfasts on a weekend, whether a solo brunch-at-home or meeting up with my friends I’m looking forward to dig-in. I’ve mentioned here and on my social media pages, I’m (supposed to be) on a diet. And while I’m the master of thinking up very creative excuses, I stuck to the terms of agreement of this ‘diet’ by turning veggies and a fried egg into a delicious guilt-free breakfast.
If you are looking for a healthier way to use that over ripe plantain. Make hash! For breakfast or brunch, it is a nice side dish to go along with main dishes. Mixed with Boniato potatoes and crushed pepper flakes to add heat to this sweet hash.
Boniato sweet potatoes can be found in any Asian, Spanish, or West Indian market. They might be labeled as ‘white’ sweet potatoes. Cut in small cubes and season 1 large potato with 2 Tbsp. of olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, ½ tsp black pepper and ½ tsp of pepper flakes before placing in a foil pouch and bake on 350 for 30 minutes or at least until tender.
Once the potatoes are tender, add 1, small chopped ripe plantain, 1/2 cup chopped onions and 4 minced gloves of garlic. As I gently mixed with a spatula, the smell of garlic rose as it hit the hot potatoes, at this point my eagerness to eat this dish grew. Return to the oven uncovered and bake at 375 until golden brown, turning every 15 minutes for an even brown color. Once done, sprinkle sliced scallions or chives and serve hot.
- You can add more veggies to this dish – parsnips, rutabaga even celery root!
- For easy clean up I laid foil on the sheet pan, this is so big in my single life cooking.
- On a weekends, I love to cook food in the oven – they get to chill out in the oven and I get to read or binge watch a new tv series.
- I used a vegetable peeler to take the skin off the potatoes; its sweetness is more subtle than that of the regular sweet potato.
- Once you return the hash to the oven, make sure the veggies lay on a single layer and is not crowded.
- I aimed for this dish to be low on salt, but you can season to your taste.
- The blacker the skin of the plantain the sweeter and faster it is to cook in this hash.